THE POTATOES SANS THE SALSA IS CALLED FRIED POTATOES WITH PIQUANT PAPRIKA WHEN SERVED WITH THE FIERY TOMATO SALSA, THIS DISH IS THEN KNOWN AS PATATAS BRAVAS.
3 t paprika
1 t ground cumin
1/4-1/2 t cayenne pepper
1/2 t salt
1 lb small old potatoes, peeled (I used yukon gold potatoes but Idaho would be great too)
oil, for shallow frying
1. Combine paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper and salt in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside.
2. Cut potatoes into wedges. Coat potato wedges w/ the spice mixture.
3. Heat oil in a nonstick skillet, then add the potato wedges, preferably in single layer to achieve a crispy fried potatoes. Over crowding the skillet with potatoes will make it mushy.
Serve the Fiery Tomato Salsa
2 T olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
splash of dry white wine
14 oz canned chopped tomatoes
1 T tomato paste
1/4-1/2 t red chili pepper flakes
dash of Tabasco sauce
pinch of sugar
salt and pepper
1. Heat the olive oil in a pan, then add the onion and cook for 5 min. or until softened but not browned.
2. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 30 sec.
3. Add the wine and let bubble, then add all the remaining ingredients, simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 min, or until a thick sauce is formed.