I have been craving for this dish for the longest time. I remember ordering this dish at a Korean restaurant back then. It was located somewhere Makati Ave. I can't remember the name of the restaurant probably it's not there anymore.
This is my version, totally based on how i remembered it. It's supposed to be beef short ribs, since i have chuck eye steak in the freezer waiting to be cooked, i decided to use it in lieu of short ribs.
The flavor is there but i think i can add something to make it more flavorful. I will make this again and perhaps add daikon and shitake mushrooms for the umami flavor. Add vinegar to balance the tangy, sweet, and salty flavor.
3 lbs. chuck eye steak (Original dish calls for beef short ribs)
1 C brown sugar
1 medium cleaned carrot and cut on a bias about an inch size
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
1 knob of ginger (about an inch knob), cut into three pieces
3 pieces of Thai bird chili
2 pieces of star anise
1/2 C crushed pineapple or pineapple juice (add more brown sugar if pineapple is not available)
2 T sesame oil
3 T rice wine
1 C soy sauce
1 beef bouillon
3 C water (add if needed)
1/4 C sliced scallions for garnish
2 T toasted sesame seeds for garnish
2. Add the rest of the ingredients except the garnish (green onions and sesame seeds)
3. Bring to a slow boil check and add water if needed, making sure to taste and adjust the seasonings.
4. Cook until meat are tender.
5. Add the sliced green onions and roasted sesame seeds for garnish.
6. Serve with steamed rice and kimchi.