Friday, May 28, 2010

LECHON MANOK CEBU STYLE (ROASTED CHICKEN CEBU STYLE)

HHHmmmm Lechon Manok..lami kaayo( lah-mee ka-uh- yu)! translation HHHmmm..Roasted Chicken..so delicious! One of my family's comfort food.

This is how i make my lechon manok, well typically the bird should be in a rotisserie. Nope i don't have a rotisserie...i wish!!! , so obviously this was roasted in the oven.


I believe, lemongrass is the key ingredient to a successful lechon manok. The smell and the taste of the lemongrass just brings me back to memory lane. I'm glad lemongrass are now widely available even the regular grocery stores now carry fresh and the paste in a tube, you'll find them at the herb aisle. And of course, Asian stores near you will definitely have lemongrass. If you can't really find lemongrass, substitute it w/ mint leaves or basil leaves.



INGREDIENTS FOR THE STUFFINGS: LEMONGRASS, SCALLIONS(GREEN ONIONS), BAY LEAVES, GARLIC, PEPPERCORNS.



MIX THESE HERBS /VEGGIES WITH SALT AND PEPPER.




INGREDIENTS FOR THE DRY RUB: SALT, GROUND PEPPER, ONION POWDER, GARLIC POWDER.

MIX KOSHER SALT, GROUND PEPPER, ONION POWDER AND GARLIC POWDER. RUB THIS DRY MIX IN AND OUTSIDE THE CHICKEN EVEN IN BETWEEN THE SKINS. STUFF THE VEGGIES/HERBS INSIDE THE CHICKEN







I MEANT TO TRUSS THE CHICKEN BUT GOT LAZY, I OPTED TO JUST TIE THE END PART






ROAST THE BIRD, BREAST SIDE DOWN FIRST. MY THEORY FOR THAT IS TO KEEP THE BREAST MOIST AND GET MORE FLAVOR FROM THE DRIPPINGS/JUICES. WHEN THE CHICKEN STARTS TO BROWN, TURN THE BIRD SO THE BREAST SIDE GETS BROWN AND CRISP. ALSO I PLACE IT ON A RACK TO ACHIEVE CRISPY SKINS ALL OVER.






CHICKEN SHOULD BE DONE AT 170 DEGREES F, INTERNAL TEMPERATURE. IF YOU DON'T HAVE A THERMOMETER YOU CAN CHECK IT BY INSERTING A SKEWER AND THE JUICES THAT COMES OUT SHOULD BE CLEAR IN COLOR. YOU CAN TURN THE DRIPPINGS INTO GRAVY.





LET THE CHICKEN REST FOR 10 TO 15 MINUTES TO LET THE JUICES SETTLE. CARVE AND SAVE THE ONIONS/SCALLIONS FROM THE STUFFING, I LOVE THOSE HERBS/VEGGIES AS A SIDE DISH=;)  DISCARD THE BAY LEAVES AND LEMONGRASS.






WE SERVE LECHON MANOK W/ LEMON JUICE/SOY SAUCE MIXTURE FOR THE DIP, STEAMED WHITE RICE AND THE HERBS/VEGGIES




12 comments:

  1. OOh dear... oh dear me! Lemongrass chicken is a perfect combination... sometimes I just have to make sure I don't bite into the lemongrass (sometimes I mistake it for spring onions! Eep!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ayay here is another a must-try recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're too funny,Thrisha! It's so easy to mistake those two, that's why i sometimes tie the lemon grass instead of cutting them the same length w/ the scallions. Thanks, for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, June!!! Lami ug humot pa jud=;) I was at Aldi the other day and thought of you=;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. lami-a bay! murag naay korona sa lubot ang manok! i enjoyed reading your blog from 2007 where the pictures were unlike what you do right now haha! sorry for pointing that out :)

    anyway, i was only supposed to let you know that i am putting links in my website of filipino food bloggers from everywhere but i spent at least half an hour going through your posts hehehe here's the link by the way:

    http://www.myfilipinokitchen.com/links/filipino-food-blogs-from-us-and-canada/

    i like zis blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Ziggy! Thank you for the laugh. I knew about the crown, nag-hulat lang ko, if someone will take notice=;) You're so observant, with that korona and with my pictures as well. Indeed, there are improvements with my photos. As i mentioned in my "about me" i'm learning food photography, self-taught. I still have a lot to learn.

    With the plethora of Filipino food bloggers i'm honored that you've picked my blog to be in your list of Pinoy blogs. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. really happy to have found your blog, because i'm from signapore and love (and miss) the southeast asian flavours and spices! stuffing the bird with these asian herbs and vegetables sound like a great alternative to the usual lemon and thyme.

    http://mummyicancook.blogspot.com/2011/03/five-spice-roast-poussin-with-mandarin.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh yum...sawsaw dayun sa soysauce with kalamansi unfortunately walay kalamansi dri kaya lemon na lng ug sili..perfect dinner na jud!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love love lechon! see my very own Lechon manok preparation tips.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there! I've been craving lechon manok for some time now. I came across your blog and found this recipe quite interesting. Thanks! Will try this out soon. By the way, taga Cebu pod baya ko. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Angel. Thanks for leaving me a comment. Hope -malami-an ka sa akong version.

      Delete
  11. i wanna make this lechon manok but ako pangutana after you put all that vegetables inside the chicken is it necessary to tie the end of the chicken? wala man panghigot pwede na lang lutuon bisan dili nimo higtan

    ReplyDelete