Every Asian country has their version of Egg Rolls. If you have a Filipino friend or has been to a Filipino gathering chances are you have already tried one of these Lumpia(Lumpia Sariwa, Lumpia Shanghai, Lumpia Prito) or all. I will be blogging them one at a time.
The authentic Lumpia Sariwa (Fresh Lumpia) recipe calls for hearts of palms which is not easy to find and is not available in some States, if ever it is available it's probably in a can. And if you can get a fresh heart of palms, by all means go ahead add it to the ingredients.
Since i can't find fresh heart of palms, i use the same fillings for both the Fresh Lumpia and Fried Lumpia.
Lumpia Sariwa consists of julienned vegetables, bean sprout, ground pork or chicken, crushed peanuts and lettuce leaf wrapped in a yellowish egg crepe. This is served w/ a garlic sauce. You can omit meat if you want this vegan.
Ingredients: Y: 16
3 tablespoons cooking oil
1 piece chicken breast -- chopped
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1/2 cup onion -- chopped
2 cups green beans -- sliced very thin
2 cups carrot -- thinly julienne
2 cups bean sprouts -- cleaned
2 cups Jicama -- thinly julienne (optional)
3 cups cabbage -- sliced thin
1 can garbanzo beans -- drained and chopped
1 bunch lettuce leaves -- washed and dried
Salt and Pepper to taste
FRESH LUMPIA WRAPPER (Crepe)
4 medium eggs -- beaten
2 cups cornstarch
2 1/2 cups water
3 tablspoons oil
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cornstarch -- dilute 1/4C H20
6 cloves garlic -- minced
pounded peanuts (optional)
1. Sauté garlic, onions until brown.
2. Add the chopped chicken stir season with salt and pepper. Cook until chicken turns white.
3. Add in the vegetables, start with the veggies that requires longer time to cook. Cook until tender but still crunchy.
4. Adjust salt and pepper. Add a little of soy sauce if necessary. Adjust flavor.
5. Drain, get a spoonful of mixture put on the wrapper with lettuce leaves.
1. Beat eggs until frothy.
2. Add the cornstarch, oil and water.
3. Mix well until cornstarch dissolves.
4. Preheat a nonstick frying pan. Ladle about 2 tablespoon of the mixture into the hot pan while swirling until it spreads out thinly like a crepe'.
5. Pick up crepe gently and cover until ready to use.
1. Mix all ingredients except cornstarch and garlic.
2. Bring to a boil.
3. Add cornstarch mix, stir constantly until thicken.
4. Take pot away from heat then add minced garlic.
HOW TO PREPARE:
1. Lay the lettuce on lower left side of the wrapper. Half of the leaf should be sticking out of the wrapper.
2. Put a tablespoon of filling on top of the lettuce then roll like a crepe or burrito. Fold the opposite side of the lettuce to secure filling.
3. Arrange on a small plate. Pour garlic sauce on top. Serve room temperature.
**** Wrap individual lumpia w/ cut wax paper to avoid from sticking and easy to pick up.