A year ago, i found this cute "alien" looking vegetable at the farmers market it's commonly known as pattypan squash. Last week at the farmers market i saw abundance of these veggie and this time they are bigger. I bought enough for 2 kinds of recipe. I'll be making stir fry and the the stuffed pattypan, thanks to Red it was easy to pull out the blog i made for Stuffed PattyPan Squash. STUFFED PATTYPAN aka FLYING SAUCER SQUASH
I made the recipe with some tweaking (improvements). The recipe/dish is already delish but i added some ingredients to kick it up another notch.
Pattypan Squash (bought 3 different colors)
Hot Italian Sausage
Muenster cheese (shredded)
Italian Tomato sauce (sauce made by my boss=;))
1. Wash and core the squash (set them aside).
2. Cook pancetta and sopressata w/ little oil until crispy. Set aside. Crumble or chop the cooled pancetta and sopressata.
3. Remove sausage from the casing. Using the same pan, saute garlic and onions then stir in the crumbled italian sausage, stir until cooked.
4. Season w/ S&P. Set aside and let cool. Add chopped parsley when it's cool. These will be the filling.
5. In the meantime cook the Italian Tomato sauce
a. Saute garlic, onion and add S&P, some dried rosemary, dried oregano and dried parsley, then add a can of tomato sauce. Bring to a boil.
b. Add a little of tomato juice to make the sauce a bit sweet. If you don't have tomato juice just add sugar and make sure to taste the sauce then make necessary adjustments.
6. From here, it'll be assembly time.
7. Spread some sauce on the bottom of the casserole dish.
8. Arrange the cored pattypan squash in the casserole dish. Stuff each squash w/ cheese then the filling and a little of the sauce. Repeat process to all the cored squash.
9. Cover the casserole w/ foil and bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees F for about 30- 35 minutes or until squash is tender. Poke w/ a paring knife to check doneness.
10. Add the crispy pancetta and sopressata on top of the stuffed pattypan then sprinkle w/ little shredded cheese.
11. Bake again uncovered for few more minutes or just enough to brown the cheese.
12. Serve hot w/ the Italian Tomato Sauce.
Once again...it was so delish. The addition of the Italian Tomato Sauce made this dish really really delicious. You've got to try this dish. You don't have to use Pattypan squash for this, yellow or green squash or zucchini will be perfect as well!