Friday, July 20, 2012

DIY BEACH WRAP

 
A pinterest project by Auna caught my attention. What a great project for my daughter! I fell in love with the project (i kid you not!). What is there not to love? It's cute, practical and so easy. No sewing machine needed...oh yes!!

Okay i take my word back, it wasn't so easy on my part. I don't know anything about measuring a "dress" let alone making this sans my daughter to actually measure. I had to base and follow Auna's measurement thinking that my daughter will fit into her measurements. Oh, i did asked a co-worker of mine to try it on so i will get an idea, where i need to adjust or fix.


Went to visit my daughter in Chicago, finally, she tried on my beach wrap and modeled it. The adjustments i had to make were the straps, it was too long on her. She wanted the length (above her knees) shorter as well but other than that.... it fit her to a Tee! ;)

I had extra fabric so i made her a headband to match the wrap. Of course i got the idea from pinterest!!! that'll be my next blog!

 I will be making another one, this time plain black. I bought this fabric on sale,thinking that if i didn't cut them right, i will not waste that much.


I love it... really love it! hahaha!!! 




The back view.



Materials you will need:

1 1/2 yards of jersey fabric (45 width). Cut down Auna's suggestion (1.75 yards) since she said she had so much extra fabric.
Thread
Needle
Tape measure
Scissors


*JERSEY FABRIC IS RECOMMENDED, IT DOESN'T FRAY, NO NEED TO SEW OR HEM THE EDGES.
* THE JERSEY FABRIC I BOUGHT WAS ON SALE FOR $4/YARD. I SPENT A TOTAL OF $8 INCLUDING TAX.





"Decide the length & width of your fabric. You want it to wrap around your body a bit loosely. I chose to have mine hit just above my knees. You'll also need to make underarm areas. I did that by folding it in half and cutting a deep "C". (*you may need more or less fabric depending on your size- about your waist + hip measurement)" ....AUNA


Cut: Underarm area - Fold fabric in half and cut a deep "C" shape. I suggest to measure the underarm area or use a tank top blouse as your guide.



 Use a tank top as a guide and measure to play safe.
This worked for me since she was not around when i made this.




 Use the extra fabric for your straps.





Measure the width and divide into three equal strips. Then braid.



THE NEXT THREE PHOTOS ARE FROM ANOTHER BEACH WRAP I MADE.
Sew the ends of the strap. Anchor a tip of the "strap" so you can make a good braid.


 Sew both ends to secure the braids you made.


Sew and attach the straps to the C cut (underarm)





















10 comments:

  1. This is the cutest thing, and it has the bestest model :))) I am an absolute disaster when it comes to sewing... but I think this is within my grasp..! I know a certain someone would love one! Time to go material shopping :)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. super cute and practical! would save this wonderful tutorial for when my girl will be older... let's say a year or two ;) your girl is adorable in it and I bet she will be really "dangerous" on the beach this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kim! I was glad i only had one adjustment, the straps. She loved it just didn't get the chance to go to the beach but i know she'll be wearing this.

    Don't worry about sewing skills, not really required. Running stitch would suffice.

    Chy will love you more;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Barbara. Thank you so much. Oh i can already see your pretty one with this as she sashays to model your project.

    Pam loved this project and i actually made another one for her friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did ur daughter attend illinois institute of at in chicago?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think i remember her. My name is Margarita Sanchez.but at school they called me Magi or Margy. We had a couple of classes together with chef byrne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Magi. What a small world. How did you find this blog? She's working at Arami Chicago, give her a surprise visit if you are in Chicago. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made a couple like it out of beach towels for my grand daughters. You'll need to overcast the cut areas and use a ribbon or something for the arm holes, but, worked great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really love this and your daughter is a doll!

    ReplyDelete