I love cupcakes! This is another favorite of mine. It's easy, so good and kid friendly...yup!! no alcohol on this recipe!. I've tried baking both from scratch and the scratch the box=;). Obviously making your cake from scratch is better but when you are in a hurry "scratch the cake mix box" is also good. Seriously, i like them both.
I will post both, now you decide which one you'd like to make first. Again i like both the cake mix box and making your own cake.
TIRAMISU CUPCAKES FROM SCRATCH
Makes 24 cupcakes
• 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
• 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• 3/4 cup milk
• 11/2 tsp vanilla extract
• 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into pieces
• 1 large egg
• 1 cup sugar
• Unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
• Espresso or coffee syrup (recipe to follow)
• Mascarpone Frosting (recipe to follow)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with cupcake liners.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3. With an electric mixer on medium speed, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy .
4. Add the egg and vanilla, mix until combined into the batter.
5. Finally, alternately add the dry ingredients and milk.
6. Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three-quarter full.
7. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until centers are completely set and edges are light golden brown, about 20 minutes.
8. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool completely before removing cupcakes.
9. To finish, brush tops of cupcakes evenly with coffee syrup; repeat until all syrup has been used.
10. Allow cupcakes to absorb liquid 30 minutes. Dollop frosting onto cupcakes; refrigerate up to overnight in airtight containers. Dust generously with cocoa powder just before serving.
1 C freshly brewed espresso or concentrated coffee
11/2 T sugar
Stir until sugar has dissolved.
Makes about 2 cups
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 8 ounces mascarpone cheese, room temperature
• 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
1. With an electric mixer on medium speed, whisk heavy cream until stiff peaks form (be careful not to overbeat, or cream will be grainy). In another bowl, whisk together mascarpone and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Gently fold whipped cream into mascarpone mixture until completely incorporated. Use immediately.
****If you can't find mascarpone you can use cream cheese as the substitute
****The chocolate chips are optional. You can garnish them w/ chocolate shavings if you want.
TIRAMISU CUPCAKES USING A YELLOW CAKE MIX.
Check the cake mix box for ingredients and instructions to make the cupcakes.
I used the same recipe for both the Espresso Syrup and the Mascarpone Frosting.