Well, actually i didn't get to make it ASAP=;) but unbeknownst to me i made this cake on the 21st of July w/c happens to be THE AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL LAMINGTON DAY what a coincidence!! And yes i seriously didn't know, i was surfing for other ideas and recipes and came across the website about the national lamington day.
I got my inspiration from Kris, i also made two kinds of coating. I made the chocolate and an orange curd coat. Thank you, Kris. Lamington will definitely grace our table especially this coming holiday!
FOR THE SPONGE CAKE
2 C all purpose flour
2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1 C whipping cream **
1 C milk
2 C sugar
4 large eggs
**If you want your cake creamier you can use 2 C (1 pint) of whipping cream and omit 1 C milk.
1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. Mix flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
3. Whisk cream and sugar. Beat eggs and add, one by one, alternating with a tablespoon of flour each time.
4. Fold in remaining flour.
5. Transfer it to a greased square cake pan.
6. Bake 40 minutes to an hour.
7. Let them cool.
FOR THE COATING/ICING:
2 C powdered sugar
1/3 C cocoa powder
2 T butter cut into small cubes
1/2 C hot milk
2 C desiccated/ flaked unsweetened coconut
1. Sift sugar and cocoa into a small bowl.
2. Add butter and milk, mix until smooth.
3. In a saucepan on a low heat, heat the mixture and mix well to create a nice coating but not too runny.
4. Place coconut in a shallow container.
FOR THE ORANGE CURD:
2 eggs beaten lightly
1/3 C sugar
1/2 C orange juice
5 T butter, chopped coarsely
2 T cornstarch dissolved in 1 T orange juice (slurry)
1. Cut the sponge cake into 36 squares.
3. Let them cool on a sheet of parchment paper.