1 pack lumpia wrapper (25 count)- TYJ Spring roll pastry
Ripe bananas – I prefer saba** but very ripe plantains will be a good substitute
1 can Jackfruit - drained and julienned
***Ripe saba/cardaba banana are available fresh or frozen at any Asian stores.
*** Very ripe plantains can be used as substitute. I suggest the over ripe plantains because they are sweeter w/c is what you need for the turon.
1. Cut banana into 4 pieces lengthwise. So you will yield four thin slices per banana.
2. Drain and julienne jackfruits and set it aside.
3. Position a slice of the banana in the lower middle part of the wrapper.
4. Sprinkle brown sugar on top of the sliced banana then put some julienned jackfruit, cover with another slice of banana.
5. Roll and fold the sides inwards. (Check the package of the lumpia wrapper for wrapping illustration).
6. Seal the edges w/ the cornstarch paste.**
7. Deep fry in hot oil until golden brown, drizzle w/ caramelized brown sugar (optional).
**Cornstarch/water mixture to seal the rolls:
1 T cornstarch
½ c cold water
Dissolve cornstarch in water, then microwave for few seconds or until the mixture thickens into a paste consistency.
I like to drizzle some caramel syrup while it's still hot.
Serve the turon with vanilla ice cream and drizzle w/ caramel syrup the sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds if you want.