SALMON KELP ROLL
Recipe from Nobu Now Cookbook P. 36
½ sheet Shiroita Konbu kelp ( 5x8 inch) *
2 ounces boneless skinless salmon fillet
2 large shiso leaves
1 garlic clove, cut into 6 thin slices
1 stick yamagobo root, rolled and cut into slices about ½ inch thick.
½ ounce scallions chopped
daikon for garnish *2 T ponzu
1 head of an edible flower *
AMA-ZU (SWEET VINEGAR)
2 T rice vinegar
6 T granulated sugar
2 ½ t sea salt
4 T soy sauce
8 T rice vinegar
2 T lemon juice
¾ inch square piece of konbu
1. Make the ama-zu by putting all the ingredients in a pan and warming through gently until the sugar dissolves. *
2. Prepare the kelp: heat the ama-zu in a pan until it is just about to boil (it should not reach boiling point), then add the kelp. Simmer gently for 1 minute, remove the pan from the heat and leave it to cool at room temperature. *3. Peel off the skin of the salmon and cut the flesh into 6 thin slices about 1/8 inch thick.
4. Drain the kelp well and spread it out on a sheet of plastic wrap.* Place 4 salmon slices side by side and then the other slices across them side by side.
5. Over the salmon slices, arrange the 2 large shiso leaves, the slices of garlic, yamagobo and scallions. Roll up the kelp tightly into a cylinder.
6. Cut the roll across into 6 pieces and arrange them on a serving dish with daikon garnish in the middle. Pour some ponzu around the pieces and place the flower on the daikon.
Ponzu sauce – are available at Japanese/Asian markets.
yamagobo root - pickled burdock
Shiroita Kelp is the ingredient i had to substitute. Noble Fish didn't have this kind of kelp so i opted to buy Soy Wrap w/c to me is the closest to the kelp and i get to try something new as well.
***I skipped some steps since i didn't have the kelp.
This is like a very thin crepe. It comes w/ 5 different flavors.
Sashimi/Sushi Grade fish should be used for this particular dish.
Yamagobo (Picled Burdock)
Place salmon slices side by side. Over the salmon slices, arrange 2 shiso leaves, slices of garlic, yamagobo and scallions (i used chives). Roll up tightly into a cylinder.
Cut into pieces and arrange them on serving dish w/ some garnish. Daikon should have been a garnish for this but forgot to buy one so i garnished it w/ my cherry tomato. Pour some ponzu.