Thursday, July 2, 2009
CHICKEN CARDAMOM MASALA
1/2 C plain yogurt ( i used my homemade yogurt)
2 T garam masala
6 to 10 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
1 t cinnamon powder
2 t chili powder
2 t chopped fresh ginger
2 t salt
4 lbs. chicken, cut into 8 pcs. or 4 chicken thighs, halved
1 t turmeric powder
Vegetable oil, for frying
4 onions, chopped
3 to 5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 to 2 T tomato paste
2 bell pepperes julienned
1/2 C heavy cream
Chopped fresh cilantro or scallions
1. Combine yogurt, masala, cardamom, cinnamon, chile powder, ginger and salt.
2. Heat about 1 T oil in a Dutch oven over high heat. Working in batches brown the chicken about 10 minutes each side. Remove chicken and set them aside.
3. Using the same pot, saute' onions and garlic until softened. Return chicken to pot, along with the yogurt mixture and tomato paste.
4. Cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Add the vegetables, and let it cook for another 15 minutes or until chicken and veggies are cooked through.
5. Stir in cream. Garnish with cilantro or scallions
*Other veggies could be used like cauliflower, carrots or potatoes.
* Serve w/ Naan or Steamed Basmati Rice.