Miso soup is easy to make. There are 2 main ingredients to a basic miso soup. Then a lot of garnish you can add to the basic miso soup. For my family we like to add soft tofu and scallions sometimes enoki mushroom.
Miso soup is not only easy to make but healthy as well not to mention inexpensive...really!! seriously!! take note on the prices of the items and a little goes a long way.
1. DASHI (Dashi) for this recipe, dashi is made w/ kelp sometimes called kombu or konbu (Kelp) and bonito flakes (Katsuobushi)
2. MISO PASTE (Miso)
BONITO FLAKES (ABOUT $2.50-5/PACK)
HOW TO MAKE DASHI STOCK:
1. Wipe a strip of kelp w/ damp paper towel. Add the strip to a pot of cold H2O (5 cups).
2. Bring to a simmer over low heat, about 15-20 minutes allowing the kelp to infuse.
3. Remove kelp as soon as water reaches boiling point. Set kelp aside for the seaweed salad.
4. Add a packet of bonito flakes to the water for few minutes.
5. Remove and let flakes steep for 2 minutes, strain them out of the broth.
HOW TO MAKE MISO SOUP:
1. Whisk and mix 1/4 cup of dashi stock and miso paste until a smooth, creamy paste is achieved.
2. Add and whisk the mixture into the dashi stock and return to a simmer.
3. Add in diced tofu let simmer for 2 more minutes.
4. Garnish with scallions. Other garnish options: chives, onions, mushrooms, chopped spinach and a lot more....
The entire process takes about 25 to 30 minutes from the dashi stock to miso soup. The stock could be made in advance and refrigerate for 3 days or freeze until the next use. Miso soup can be kept in the ref for 3 days...but in my house the soup will not even see the ref=:)
KELP (SEAWEED SALAD)
Slice the following thinly: sweet onions and kelps. Mince garlic and ginger. Mix everything w/ spicy vinegar, lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
JAPANESE CHICKEN BBQ INGREDIENTS ( ANY KIND OF BEER CAN BE USED..I HAPPEN TO HAVE JAPANESE BEER IN THE HOUSE)
HOW TO MAKE JAPANESE BBQIngredients:
1 cup miso paste
1 cup beer
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup sugar2 t sesame oil
1/8 t cayenne pepper (add more if you want it hot)
2 lbs. chicken (breast, wings or thighs w/c ever you like).
1. In a bowl, combine miso paste, beer, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil and cayenne pepper.
2. Stir until the miso and sugar are dissolved. I usually set aside about a cup or so of the marinade (bring it to a boil) and use them to glaze the chicken right before serving.
3. Marinate chicken for at least and hour.
4. Preheat oven to 375 F. This could also be grilled.
5. Arrange chicken including the marinade on a baking pan and bake. Check chicken after 10 minutes and turn each pieces. Return to the oven to bake until tender and cooked
JAPANESE CHICKEN BBQ SERVED W/ STEAMED WHITE RICE
AND THE ENTIRE MEAL!!!
HOMEMADE MISO SOUP, SEAWEED SALAD AND JAPANESE CHICKEN BBQ.