This dish is one of the staple on every Filipino celebration. I always make extra and save in the freezer for future cooking especially when you don't have enough time to cook. We love this served w/ steamed rice and ketchup on the side.
Embutido (Filipino Meatloaf)
Yields: 8 logs
1 lb ground pork
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onions, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, finely diced
1 C raisins
1/2 C carrots finely diced
12 Vienna sausages, chopped
4 slices of white bread (this will act as binder), crusts discarded, then broken into small pieces.
2 eggs, beaten
2 T pickle relish
lots of pepper
3 T soy sauce
1 t salt
2 hardboiled eggs cut in quarter
**** To taste the mixture, fry a little amount to check if flavor needs adjustments.
1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients above except for the hardboiled eggs.
2. Place a mound of the meat mixture on a sheet of greased aluminum foil, position the hardboiled eggs in the middle and form an 8" log, about 2" in diameter.
3. Carefully roll the aluminum foil and seal by folding the edges.
4. Steam for 30 minutes. Let rest at room temperature or in the fridge for at least 30 mins before serving. This sets the embutido and allows the flavors to blend together.
5. This can be fried also right before serving. Best served with steamed rice.