Monday, December 3, 2007

ENSAYMADA





Okay, a little confession=:) I don't really bake...it's just not my cup of tea. Too scientific and precise for me. If you mess up that's it for you, unlike cooking you can add and modifiy. But, i take on the challenge from time to time, especially if i like a recipe that calls for baking. So...this week i had the craving for ensaymada. Yes, i can buy some ensaymada but expensive , buying a few will not satisfy my craving. HHHmmm what to do? I went through my recipe box and got my ensaymada recipe w/c i have made by the way, a long time ago. Went to work and hoped that it'll come out as good as i remembered the last time i made some. It did, but this time i made it smaller so it'll last a looonnnggg time=:) and savor my ensaymada.


Oh, by the way for those readers who has no idea what an ensaymada is....it's a Filipino version of brioche or perhaps croissant (French sweet bread). Correct me if i'm wrong or pls. let me know.


***The red dots in the picture means that ensaymada has no filling. My daughter likes hers plain.=:)


Ingredients:

1st bowl: 3 1/2 t yeast
1 1/2 t white sugar
1/3 c lukewarm H2O
*****Mix, set aside until bubbly


2nd bowl: 1/2 c diluted milk (1/4 H2O and 1/4 evaporated milk)
or 1/2 c whole milk
1/4 c melted butter
1/2 c white sugar
3 egg yolks (large)
******Low, heat, then cool

3rd bowl: 2 1/2 c all purpose flour (sifted)
1/2 c all purpose flour (allowance) for board dusting

Procedure:
1. Mix everything in a bowl until well blended.(Until not sticky)
2. Tansfer in a greased bowl, let it rise for an hour or 30 min. then cut into 12 pcs., double it if you want smaller sizes.
3. Knead dough then put filling (optional) and roll.
***Roll like a snake and coil like a cobra" Don't laugh..does it make sense? Haha!
*****okay, roll into logs and coil or make a knot.
4. Put the coiled dough in a greased muffin tins. Let rise for another hour.
5. Brush with butter and bake in a preheated 350 degrees F for 15 minutes or until light brown.
6. Slather with butter, and sprinkle with sugar and top with grated cheddar cheese.
FILLING CHOICES: CHEESE, BACON, HAM, UBE JAM, MACAPUNO
LAMI KAAYO!!! - VERY DELICIOUS

8 comments:

  1. I love your ensaymada recipe so much. I made some the other day and my kids love it and my husband. It tastes just like the Hawaiian sweet roll sold at the store. Now I am going to make so more. I'm from Lapu-lapu. Thanks so much for sharing your family recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm i have never had these... or heard of them.. looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Kim! You can give these a try...it's really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. pano mo naman nasabi? syempre pag kaw dong nagluto, masarap sabihin mo di ba

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi, i came across your blogspot and i'm from talisay,cebu,and have migrated here in canada, and i would like to try your ensaymada recipe, what do you mean under the flour measurement, 2 1/1 what's that? 2 1/2 cup? oh well, i better wait before i jump into making it, thanks. debrah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Thank you for catching the typo-error. You're right it's 2 1/2 C . I have corrected it already. Salamat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, I`m loving that picture of the mango with uyap on top!!!

    ReplyDelete